912 Ellis Street, Augusta, Ga
(Lowrey Wagon Works Apt)
This historic building in the warehouse area of downtown Augusta has accommodated an assortment of uses before being transformed into 19 loft style apartments by Studio 3 and owner Mark Donahue. Originally built in 1860 as a wagon factory, it was quickly converted into a shoe factory for the Confederate government during the Civil War, then used briefly as a school for free African American children before being returned to a wagon works until the 1920's. It was then used as office space, but was shuttered for over 30 years before being revitalized. The adaptive reuse was sensitive to the history of the project, including restoring the stucco façade painted in the signature colors of the Lowrey wagons. The studio and 1 bedroom apartments were designed to meet the needs of young professionals living in the redeveloped urban area. The project received a 2015 Preservation Award by both Historic Augusta and the Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation.